What is Second Opinion
A second opinion is when you visit another medical specialist, doctor, or healthcare professional to get their opinion. You can review and compare the medical advice and check if the second opinion is the same as that received from your regular specialist or doctor. This comparison can provide you confidence if both doctors agree and it can provide you clarity with their different views, and you might have a more different view of your medical options and your healthcare conditions.
If you are not satisfied with a doctor’s diagnosis and medical advice, you can go for a second opinion. You may seek a second opinion if you are not sure about a medical treatment option or diagnosis, or if you only want to confirm whether the planned treatment is the best option for you.
You may feel awkward asking for a second opinion, but this is a common practice in medicine. In some cases, you can book an appointment with a different specialist, doctor, or healthcare professional without consulting the first doctor. But, it is good to ask your doctor for a referral, particularly if they have your medical test results or records. It can help the second doctor to make a diagnosis and suggest treatment. It might also save you from undergoing medical tests again.
How to get a second opinion?
- Tell your specialist or doctor that you need to consider your options and want advice from another doctor.
- Ask your doctor to provide a referral to see another specialist or doctor. You may have a doctor in mind, or simply you can ask your doctor to recommend another expert.
- Request your doctor to provide your medical history, including, test results or any scans like x-rays, to the referred specialist or doctor.
- For a medical professional who doesn’t need a referral from your doctor, you have the right to make an appointment with another doctor without informing your primary medical professional, if you wish. But, if feasible, always take any scans or test results with you.
- After you get a referral, it is crucial to make the appointment as fast as possible, so that you can have a complete understanding of your diagnosis options quickly and make the right decision about your treatment promptly.
Making informed healthcare decisions
Try to be honest with the healthcare team to make an informed decision about your healthcare. If you need to undergo surgery, treatment, or take your medication with any side effects, you can ask about all your viable options and get a second opinion if you wish.
Learning how to make decisions and talk to your medical team is an important part of getting involved in your healthcare. It might be that you want to have a second opinion because you don’t understand your doctor’s diagnosis or treatment. It is important to ask your doctor more questions and request a second opinion so that you can fully understand your health conditions and suggested treatment options.
After having a second opinion and getting all the information you require, you will feel more confident about making a decision about your treatment.
MediGence provides an excellent platform to seek a reliable second opinion from world-class doctors. MediGence’s telemedicine helps international patients connect with overseas doctors virtually and seek a second opinion from the comfort of their homes. People can get a second opinion about their critical conditions before they travel to other countries to seek treatment. This way they can have the best treatment options and get treatment from the doctors of their choice.